What is the Average Medical Technologist Salary?
There is good news for those who want a career in medical technology. Medical technologist salary ranges from $56,800 to as much as $80,000. The eye watering money you can earn as a medical technologist can only be attained by hard work and certifications.
Medical Technologist: The Job
As a medical technologist you are responsible for:
1. A medical technologist collects bodily fluids such as throat cultures, blood and urine.
2. He or she also reviews and performs quality controls. They also make decisions regarding the results of the tests undergone by a patient.
3. A medical technologist does research and makes the proper corrections on findings.
4. He or she also logs the list of supplies used in the lab.
5. A medical technologist prepares the specimens that will be stored or transferred to the reference lab.
6. He or she advices clinicians and other health care service providers about the proper methods of collecting specimens.
7. A medical technologist operates and makes sure that clinical laboratory equipment are functional.
These are the responsibilities of a medical technologist. The medical technologist salary is just right for the responsibilities that a medical technologist handles.
What are the Requirements to Become a Medical Technologist?
Before you fulfill your dream of becoming a medical technologist you must attain certain requirements and certifications. You must at least have a Bachelors Degree in medical technology or related area of specialty. If you do not have a Bachelors Degree in medical technology, you must at least have four years of working experience in medical technology or any other related field. There are plenty of colleges and trade schools who offer degrees in medical technology. All you need to do is find the school that has the best program. You can compare programs to find out which school is right for you. You can also consider getting an online degree instead if you cannot afford the school you like or the school is too far.
Other than getting a degree, you must also be attentive to details and have good communication skills both written and oral. These skills are important because you will be coordinating with different members of the medical team. One misstep can cost a patients life. You must be willing to constant check quality and check the results that come out of the testing. A medical technologist salary will compensate for the work you do.